Friday, March 8, 2013

One week

It's been a week since my surgery, and I am doing great. When I first woke up after being under general anesthesia for 10.5 hours, my first thought was "OMG! I think I forgot to send the bag of goldfish for the one fish two fish counting game that Caroline's class was doing today!" So I knew right away that normalcy would return quickly. {David later told me that we did, in fact, send the goldfish}. I had the best nursing team while I was in the hospital. Late on the night after my surgery, I went on an apple juice bender (the nurse could literally not feed me enough apple juice when she came in for her hourly rounds) and my blood sugar shot up. The nurse had no doubt that it was the apple juice, but she warned me that my doctor was going to freak because he just freaks over things like that. And he apparently did freak, although not in front of me, because I had to get my blood sugar checked twice a day for the rest of my hospital stay (it was always normal after that first apple-juice skewed reading, and I've been laying off the juice ever since.). The same night I was chugging apple juice, I was telling my nurse that I planned to walk the halls once every hour the next day. So as soon as the (equally awesome) day nurse arrived, she told me that she'd heard that I was quite the eager beaver, and that she would only let me walk three times total that day. So I walked three times on Saturday, a lot more than that on Sunday, and I was discharged on Monday.

I can't believe how good I'm feeling one week out. I'd heard so many awful things about this surgery and was prepared to feel much worse at this point. The hardest thing for me is going to be not doing things. I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for 8 weeks. Eight weeks!! Do you know how light 5 pounds is? A half gallon of milk is 4 and a half pounds. My coffee pot (with coffee) is 3 and a half pounds. A casserole dish on a baking sheet is more than 5 pounds. I'm just not naturally good at not lifting things over five pounds. But I know this is an important part of the recovery process, so not lift I will.

It's a gorgeous day today, so I plan to get outside and walk. Don't worry Mom, I won't overdo it! Thankfully, this is something that I am actually supposed to do:

In other news, the girls went back to Nit Wits for a recheck the morning I was discharged from the hospital and got the all-clear. All kinds of things were getting checked on me that morning in the hopes that I could get discharged, but nothing had me more more stressed out than the lice recheck. I think I have PTSD. I may need to see a therapist to get over this.

Thanks for the real life and virtual well wishes!


Kayte said...

So so happy to hear that things are going well. And you are definitely you worrying over goldfish, lice, apple juice consumption, etc. I laughed through this whole post, which I know I was not meant to do, but it was so YOU!!! Hugs...and then some more hugs just because it's you. xo

Mom to 3 C's said...

So glad to hear you are doing well! Prayers for continued good recovery... you must've gotten all the bad luck out of the way pre-surg. :)

Pamela said...

I've been thinking of you! Glad you are feeling okay. Take care!! :)