Friday, February 15, 2013

The rant worked!!

Here is my latest first world problem: after getting lazy and taking photos mainly with my phone for the better part of the year, I decided start using a real camera again. But the photo processing program that I use with my camera (Adobe Lightroom) would not work. It looked like there was some glitch during installation? It appeared that it was corrupted. And as usual in these situations, I was completely helpless. It wouldn't let me uninstall the program. It wouldn't let me reinstall it over the corrupted program. Every time I tried to mess with it I would walk away defeated and frustrated. I spent the past two weeks getting mentally prepared to call Adobe (I hate talking on phone, especially when the conversation involves technical problems). So today poor Heather walked into my office right when I was ripe for a Lightroom breakdown.

C: I just want technology to bleeping work. Is that really so much to ask? I just want to turn it on and have it work. Do you know the only time a piece of technology actually worked for me out of the box? With some $12 replacement universal headphones I got for the car DVD player. And I nearly keeled over from the shock of them working. I didn't have to configure them, or find a code in the manual, or call customer support. I put in the batteries, turned them on, and they just worked! That's what I want to happen. I don't want to clear caches. I don't want to run a memory test. I don't want to have to uninstall things in a secret magical order or dig around for hidden temporary files that might contain the one .msi file that I need to make it all work. I just want to take pictures!

H: Here's what I think you need to do. I think you need to pour yourself a glass of wine. Then set the timer for 1 hour -- you can just hang up if it's not going well -- and call Adobe.

I decided to take Heather's advice, but thought that I'd try to uninstall/reinstall Lightroom one more time before calling. And lo! It worked! So I finally got to process a few photos I took when my cutie pie nephew and niece visited last month.

Alex takes his tractor driving seriously:

Emma just hung around being adorable:

Ringing the train bell never gets old:

David and Caroline waiting for the train:

Elizabeth acting goofy:

Best attempt at a group shot:

Their visited extended into the week, so on Monday we sent the big kids to school and I had Alex and Emma allllllll to myself (Diane and Sal were there, of course, but I didn't have to share A&E with their cousins!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray! I'm glad it worked! The pictures are fantastic!!

Heather said...

LOVE the photos!!! Sometimes a good come-apart fixes all sorts of things. :)

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS